With winter around the corner, this Garlic Butternut Squash & Zucchini Gratin recipe is the ultimate comfort food. It showcases roasted butternut squash and zucchini with creamy brie on top.
Why it works
Cooking garlic in bacon grease adds a hearty aroma to the gratin. I LOVE the color combination of the bright orange butternut squash and deep green zucchini. It’s a feast for the belly and for your eyes.
Garlic Butternut Squash & Zucchini Gratin
- Chopping Board
- Baking Tray
- Frying Pan
- Casserole Dish
- 1.5 heads (1.5 heads) garlic
- 3 pounds (1.36 kg) Butternut Squash, About 2 butternut squashes
- 1 pound (453.59 g) zucchini
- 1 wedge (1 wedge) Brie
- 4 slices (4 slices ) Bacon
- Chives, For garnish
- Collect all the ingredients.
Butternut Squash and Zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175ªC).
- Peel the butternut squash.
- Cut the butternut squash into 1/2 inch (1 cm) slices.
- Deseed the squash.
- Cut the ends of the zucchini. Cut each zucchini into long slices, approximately the same thickness as the squash.
- Arrange the squash and zucchini in baking trays.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the baking trays with the squash and zucchini into the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Bacon, Garlic, and Brie
- While waiting for the squash and zucchini to bake, prepare the garlic. Peel and roughly chop the garlic.
- Roughly chop the bacon slices.
- Heat a large fry pan over medium heat. Pan fry the chopped bacon and render the fat, about 5 minutes.
- Make a well in the frying pan. Add the garlic.
- Fry the garlic in the bacon grease until the garlic and bacon are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking trays from the oven when squash and zucchini are cooked through. Test that they are cooked by piercing with a fork. The fork should slide through with minimal or no resistance.
- In an 8x8 baking dish, layer the squash and zucchini in alternate layers.
- Slice the brie into thin slices, about 1/2 inch (0.5 cm). Top the baking dish with the brie slices.
- Add the garlic and bacon toppings on top of the brie slices in the baking dish.
- Place the baking dish back into the oven, until the brie melts.
- Serve with a sprinkle of chives.
- Enjoy your Garlic Butternut Squash & Zucchini Gratin.