Spicy mayo coleslaw is so easy to make. And it’s delicious. Elevate the traditional coleslaw recipe by adding a little kick to it thanks to spicy mayo.
You can also skip the coleslaw dressing and use the spicy mayo directly on your homemade poke bowls and hamburgers.
Why it works
Coleslaw is always delicious, especially with grilled steak. I love this spicy coleslaw recipe because the spicy mayo adds a surprising twist. When I’m in the mood for something a bit novel, it really hits the spot.
Making your own homemade mayo is also easy once you try a few times and get the technique down. I love freshly made mayonnaise. I think it tastes much better than the store-bought kind and adds more character to the coleslaw dressing with only marginally more work.
- Chopping Board
- Garlic Press
- Food Processor
- Shredding Disc
- Stick Blender
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 head Cabbage
- 3 Carrots
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 1 Lemon
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha Sauce
- 1/8 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- Collect all the ingredients for the recipe.
- Cut the head of cabbage into halves.
- Cut each cabbage half into thirds so one head of cabbage is cut into 6 pieces.
- Use a food processor slicer blade for the cabbage. Set aside the grater blade, you will use the grater blade later for the carrots.
- Shred the cabbage in the food processor using the slicer blade.
- The cabbage should be shredded into very thin strips, like the typical texture of coleslaw. Put the shredded cabbage into a large mixing bowl.
- Switch the blade in the food processor. Use the grater blades with the carrots.
- Shred the carrots in the food processor.
- Place the shredded cabbage and carrots into the large mixing bowl.
Making Spicy Mayo
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Place the egg yolk into a container suited for the immersion blender.
- Cut the lemon in half. Squeeze the juice from the lemon half, it should measure about 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Add the lemon juice directly into the container with the egg yolks.
- Peel the garlic cloves and squeeze the cloves with a garlic press directly into the container with the egg yolks and lemon juice.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Sriracha sauce. Leave the remaining for extra spiciness if needed. Add the dijon mustard and salt.
- Put the blender attachment on the immersion blender. Place the blender into the container and pulse to mix the ingredients together.
- Hold down the button to continuously run the blender. Slowly pour in the olive oil into the container until a thick consistency forms. It is very important to pour the olive oil in very slowly to allow the mixture to emulsify. You may not need all of the olive oil. Avoid jostling the mixture. If there is a lot of olive oil at the top and it is not flowing down to the other ingredients, stop pouring olive oil. Gently, lift up the immersion blender and slowly rotate it side to side to allow the olive oil to dribble towards. Gently place the immersion blender back in place and continue blending. The whole process takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute of blending.
- Stop blending after about 1 minute. When you lift up the immersion blender, you should see a thick, viscous consistency.
- Test the mayo by picking it up with a spatula and letting it drip off the spatula. You should see it takes a long time too drip and looks like the typical consistency of mayonnaise. Voilà, you made spicy mayonnaise!
- Put the spicy mayonnaise into a bowl. You can use the spatula to scrape down the sides of the container.
- Add the sugar to the apple cider vinegar. Mix until the sugar dissolves.
- Add two tablespoons of the sugar and apple cider mixture directly into the spicy mayo bowl.
- Whisk the mixture thoroughly.
- The consistency should be runny. This coleslaw dressing should be thinner than the mayonnaise consistency. Taste it. If it is not spicy enough, add more Sriracha sauce. If it is not tangy enough, add more apple cider vinegar and sugar mix.
- Pour the spicy mayo coleslaw dressing over the shredded cabbage and carrot. Toss evenly. Your spicy coleslaw is ready to serve.
- Enjoy your spicy coleslaw!