Why It Works
Extra Umami Beef Broth
- Chopping Board
- Instant Pot
- Collect all the ingredients for the recipe.
- Chop the celery and carrots into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces.
- Peel the onions. Chop them in half.
- Put all the ingredients directly into the pot. Add water until you just cover the ingredients. We’re using an Instant Pot (also called an Instapot). You can also put it into a giant stock pot.
- Set the Instapot to the Soup setting on Low Pressure and Normal. Turn it on and come back once it's done. If you’re using a traditional stock pot, then turn the heat on until the pot boils, then lower the heat until simmer. Allow to cook for at least 3 hours.
- When the broth is done, it should be dark brown. Put a strainer over a big bowl. Strain the broth. Discard the ingredients.
- Enjoy your beef broth! You can serve it alone with salt and vegetables. Or you can use it in a recipe like Chas’ French Onion Soup.
How Long Does This Beef Broth Last?
Thanks to Marcy for a great question. In the past, I have left the broth in the fridge for 3 days without any problems.
Beyond 3 days, I always reboil the broth, which means I won’t drink it by simply reheating in the microwave.
Usually, this isn’t a problem since I often use the broth in another recipe like Chas’ French onion soup or coconut curry soup.
In the rare cases where I am making a huge batch and want to store the broth for months, I will freeze the broth. I portion it into yogurt containers (yay for recycling!). If freezer space were an issue, you can even store it in ziploc baggies and flatten them before freezing. They stack particularly well.