Let’s pair creamy and tender delicata squash with fragrant garlic butter. This rustic side dish is a wonderful Fall recipe that highlights seasonal flavors. Thanks to our CSA farmers for providing us with this delicious delicata squash.
Why It Works
Much creamier than butternut squash, delicata squash is a rich and velvety gourd. It has a buttery texture like Yukon potatoes and it is easier to chop and roast than butternut squash!
The delicata squash comes from our CSA box. If you don’t subscribe to a CSA box, you can often find delicata squash from your local farmers’ market, Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods when it’s in season.
- 5 Delicata Squash
- 3 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Black Pepper
- 2 heads Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Roast Delicata Squash
- Wash the delicata squash. Optionally, peel it if you prefer squash without the skin. Cut the ends off the delicata squash.
- Chop each delicata squash in half.
- Scoop out the seeds from the inside of the squash. Discard the seeds.
- Chop each squash into approximately 1/2 inch (1-1.5 cm) thick crescent moon-shaped pieces.
- Put the delicata squash into a bowl. Pour in the canola oil. Season it with the salt and pepper. Toss the squash to coat evenly with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer the delicata squash to a baking pan. Spread each piece of squash so they do not overlap. Roast the squash in the oven for approximately 30 minutes. You can test whether they are cooked by piercing with a fork. If the fork sinks into the squash without much resistance, they are ready.
Prepare Garlic Butter
- Heat the butter in a tiny saucepan on medium-low heat.
- While the butter melts, squeeze the garlic through a garlic press directly into the saucepan.
- Stir the butter. Allow the garlic to cook in the butter for 10 minutes.
- Once ready, the garlic butter smells very aromatic and the garlic no longer has a strong spicy effect.
- Plate the roasted delicata squash. Spread the garlic butter generously on top of the delicata squash.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and serve. Enjoy your garlic delicata squash!