This recipe is a great introduction to egg tofu, especially if you’re new to this special tofu. You’ll love how quick and easy it is to make crispy egg tofu. Yet it tastes rich and decadent thanks to the egg in the egg tofu.
If you just learned about egg tofu and are curious to try it, this is a simple recipe you will love. This crispy pan-fried egg tofu recipe is easy and minimalist, which allows you to taste the rich and fragrant flavors of the egg tofu instead of masking it behind heavy sauces. Because this recipe is so quick to make, you’ll also have pan-fried egg tofu on the table in less than 10 minutes.
RELATED: Learn about egg tofu, including how to prep, cook, and store it.
You’ll love this pan-fried egg tofu recipe if you’re looking for a new way to enjoy tofu. This dish is great for vegetarians or foodies looking to eat less meat or if you simply want to try something new. It’s a great addition to your brunch menu.
What Ingredients Can I Substitute in the Pan-Fried Egg Tofu Recipe?
Substitute Egg Tofu
Although egg tofu is the foundation for the recipe, if you can’t find egg tofu or you don’t eat eggs, you can replace the egg tofu with five-spice dry tofu. At worst, you can use medium or medium-firm block tofu if you cannot find egg tofu or five-spice dry tofu. I wouldn’t use silken tofu because you cannot pan fry silken tofu; it will fall apart.
I understand you might have the genes that cause cilantro to taste like soap. You can replace the cilantro with chopped green onions, chopped chives, or chopped basil. Of course, those herbs will completely change the flavor of the dish, but it will still be a great result.
If you’re going truly minimalist, you can skip the herbs altogether and stick with the soy sauce and sesame oil only. You could also put some chili sauce or hot sauce on top, similar to how you might eat scrambled eggs.
Tips For Success
- If you find the egg tofu is splattering as it fries, you can partially cover the frying pan with a lid to reduce oil splattering out.
- The egg tofu slices might be hard to grip when you flip them. Use two spatulas–one to anchor and one to flip–to get a good grip on the egg tofu.
- Frying Pan
- Gather the ingredients.
- Add the oil to a non-stick frying pan. Put the sliced egg tofu into the frying pan, making sure the side that touches the pan has oil to stop the tofu from sticking to the pan.
- Fry the egg tofu for 2 to 4 minutes on medium-high heat until the side touching the pan is golden brown. You can peek at the underside to see if the egg tofu slice is ready to flip.
- Once golden brown, flip all the egg tofu slices to fry on the underside, about 2 minutes. Watch carefully to make sure the tofu doesn't burn.
- If the tofu starts to splatter, partially cover the frying pan with a lid. Leave a gap to allow the steam to escape so the egg tofu can get crispy.
- Once the egg tofu is golden and crispy on both sides, put the pan-fried egg tofu on a plate.
- Mix the sesame oil and soy sauce. Pour the sauce over the pan-fried egg tofu.
- Garnish the pan-fried egg tofu with chopped cilantro and serve while the egg tofu is hot and crispy.
- Enjoy your pan-fried egg tofu with chopped cilantro!