Finally, a recipe in under 15 minutes. We haven’t made it in under 15 minutes since the first Simply Stir Fry recipe with tofu, cabbage, carrot, and mushrooms.
Well, you’re in for a treat because not only is this recipe even better than the tofu and cabbage stir fry, but it’s also a lot faster to make.
The best part of this tofu noodle salad recipe is that it really hits the spot when I’m looking for a quick meal that’s low carb and high flavor.
Plus, it’s a no-cook recipe. After a long day of working and commuting, you can get excited by this dish, especially because of how little mental energy you need to make it.
Why it works
This recipe uses tofu noodles. You might have learned about this kind of tofu from the 9 Types Of Tofu You’ve Never Heard Of post.
In addition to spiralizing vegetables to make dishes like zucchini pasta with cream sauce, tofu noodles are my go-to substitute for a low-carb alternative to noodles.
It’s made from a sheet of dry, pressed tofu that’s been thinly sliced to resemble spaghetti. While it doesn’t have the al dente texture, it delivers its own soft and chewy texture that provides a satisfying mouthfeel, which is what I’m looking for when eating noodles.
Alex was pleasantly surprised when he first discovered this tofu noodle.
Why don’t more Americans know about this great pasta alternative?
Now you know about it, it’s time to give it a try with this tofu noodle salad recipe.
How to Make Tofu Noodle Salad with Carrot and Cucumber
Tofu Noodle Salad with Carrot and Cucumber
- 3 cloves (18 g) Garlic
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) Apple Cider Vinegar, Or rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) sugar, Add to taste
- 1 teaspoon (10 g) Salt, Add to taste
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Soy Sauce, Light soy sauce, avoid dark soy sauce. Add to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (3 ml) Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) Lao Gan Ma chili sauce, Find it in your local Asian grocery store.
Prepare carrot and cucumber
- Using a mandolin, thinly slice the cucumber. If you don't have a mandolin, you can finely slice with a sharp chef's knife.
- Grate the carrot and combine with the sliced cucumber.
- Finely slice the cilantro. Set aside.
- Finely mince the garlic. It's easiest to use a garlic press. If you don't have a garlic press, you can run your chef's knife over the garlic multiple times for a fine mince.
- Measure out and add the apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, soy sauce, and sesame oil to the minced garlic. Mix.
Prepare the tofu noodles
- Boil water in a kettle for efficiency.
- Pour the boiling water over the tofu noodles in a heat-proof bowl. Stir the tofu noodles. Drain the water.
Assemble the salad
- Add the salad dressing to the tofu noodles.
- Assemble the carrot and cucumber over the tofu noodles.
- Make a well in the middle of the carrot and cucumber. Place the sliced cilantro in the well.
- Top with a tablespoon of Lao Gan Ma.
- Mix the salad well to evenly coat the tofu noodles and distribute the cilantro before serving.
- Enjoy your tofu noodle salad!